[Orgmode] Re: Finding old appointments

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Finding old appointments
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 20:13:11 +0200

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden>
writes:

Hi Sébastien,

> What's the info available about your past appointments?  I'm a bit
> puzzled about what I have to do with old appointments. Let me
> explain...
>
> I have such appointments:
>
> ** Dentist
>    <2010-07-28 Wed 10:45-11:15>
>
> ** Meeting client ABC
>    <2010-08-19 Thu 10:00-12:00>

Yes, I have many of those "Meeting with John Doe" appointments with no
subtree, too.

Additionally, there are some more complex outdated entries, that have
subtrees and done todos.

> OK. We're on 1st of August. What do I do with the first entry
> (dentist)?
>
> - leave it like it is?
> - change the angle brackets by [] (to explictly make it inactive)?
> - remove it?

I'd tag it with the archive tag.

> Is it the type of information you have about your past entries?
> Active or inactive timestamps?

Yes, what I want to spot are enties with an active (or also inactive?
not sure about this one) timestamp that is before today, and if it's a
TODO, it has to be in a DONE state.  The same must hold for any
subtrees.

> Would we do the full "right clocking behavior", we should have clocked
> in and out such entries. So, the right info would be in LOGBOOK.
>
> Do you have such info as well about your past entries?

I don't use clocking, but only changes to the TODO state are recorded in
LOGBOOK.

> What is the right behavior?

Well, basically I'm just looking for a search facility that shows me an
agenda view with all entries that contain only timestamps before today
and no pending todos, so that I can use the agenda commands to act on
them.  Some will be deleted, others archived.

Bye,
Tassilo