Re: [Orgmode] Personal accounting with emacs, org and...?

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Personal accounting with emacs, org and...?
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:06:30 -0700

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 01:26:29 -0500, Russell Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 01:20:58AM -0500, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
>> > Hey list,
>> >
>> > I was wondering if anyone out there manages his personal accounting
>> > with org. I never really managed my personal finances, but I think
>> > it's about time to know where my money comes from and where it is
>> > going (and where the leaks are :P). I would use something like
>> > lessaccounting.com, but I would rather integrate it into my
>> > orgmode-based PIM. Any ideas?
>>
>> I use John Wiegley's Ledger (of Remember fame), which is a CLI tool
>> that does reporting against plain text files.
>>
>> I do my expense reporting and business accounting in it. Very flexible
>> and because it is text based, I can use version control and emacs.
>
> and, with org-babel, you can place your ledger entries in an org
> file...  I have a simple ob-ledger implementation which doesn't do
> tangling yet (as I don't yet know how to provide this level of
> support) but it does work for single blocks of ledger entries.

Tangling does not require *any* language specific support.  Since the
integration of Babel into Org-mode any type of code block should tangle
just fine.  For example the following minimal org file tangles a code
block of the fictional /schulte/ language to a file "eric.sh"

* top

#+begin_src schulte :tangle eric.sh
  hello world
#+end_src

It does look like there is fertile ground for Babel<->Ledger
integration.

Best -- Eric