Re: [Orgmode] possible single-quote bug in PDF docs (was: trouble with I

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] possible single-quote bug in PDF docs (was: trouble with Imenu integration)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 22:33:02 +0200

On Jul 16, 2010, at 10:21 PM, Michael Gilbert wrote:

On Jul 16,2010, at 10:36 AM, David Maus wrote:

Following the instructions from manual, I have this near the end of my startup file (I hope that is copied correctly):

        (add-hook ’org-mode-hook
                   (lambda () (imenu-add-to-menubar "Imenu")))

Um... Wrong type of quote?  It's
'org-mode-hook (ASCII 39)
not
’org-mode-hook (Unicode 8217)

Yep. When there wasn't an obvious answer, I found the same thing. Thank you regardless, David. What effect is it that the incorrect character has on the LISP processing? The error returned was related the name of the variable...

Also, I guess this is a possible bug in the documentation: Looks like the single quote in the PDF version of the manual is Unicode 8217. (And of course I copied and pasted, to avoid getting anything wrong when I typed it!) Would that be something worth correcting? I have this vague notion that I've encountered it elsewhere. The HTML version of the manual is rendered correctly, but the PDF is not, I think. A quick scan suggests this — the renderer turns all the single quotes into curly quotes, even when they are being used in code.

Yes.  Unfortunately I don't know a way to fix this.

- Carsten