[Orgmode] Re: Behavior of Gnus when called from an hyperlink

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Behavior of Gnus when called from an hyperlink
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 21:23:50 +0200

Hi Nick,

Nick Dokos wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Tassilo Horn wrote:

>>> Looks to me that `gnus-request-head' is the culprit. Looking at the code,
>>> I cannot see why that function is so slow. I'd try to edebug that to see
>>> what exact part of it takes that long.
>>
>> Sorry to be such a newbie on that, but I'd understood I would have to type
>> `C-u C-M-x' (`edebug-defun') when on that function definition, right?
>>
>> My problem is I can't access the definition, as all of Gnus is only present
>> as "byte-compiled" files, located in
>>
>>     /usr/share/emacs/23.1/lisp/
>>
>> Is there a way, still, to debug the function, then, the way you intend it?
>
> Is this because you are using the distro's package and they don't distribute
> sources?

Exactly. Just installed `emacs' (the virtual package) under Ubuntu 10.4, and
got Emacs 23.1.

> There is usually a emacs-el package that installs sources as well.

Of course. Did not even think at that... Thanks for pointing this out!

Now, installed `emacs23-el' (there is no `emacs-el' or so, so here I have to
explictly state a version number), and have access to the sources.

Thanks Nick.

Best regards,
  Seb

--