Re: [Orgmode] installing updating Org on other platform

From: Adam
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] installing updating Org on other platform
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 17:44:47 +1200

Thanks, John.

> I'm not on Win XP, but just wanted to ask for clarification as it might
> help others help you...
>
> > To install, I downloaded the 6.36c zip, and copied all and only the
> > /lisp/*.el  files into the folder ~/Emacs/Lisp/org.

I copied all the contents of the archive   org-6.36c/lisp/   directory, into
C:/emacs/lisp/org/

> > I notice that in  .emacs  the entry
> > (add-to-list 'load-path "C:/emacs/lisp/org")
> >
> > or as I first had it,
> > (add-to-list 'load-path "C:/emacs/org-6.36c")
> >
> > neither have any effect.   It seems Emacs will find Org in
> > ~/emacs/lisp/org no
> > matter what.  Only  (require 'org)  is present in my  .emacs  and then
> > some Org settings.
>
> This might be extremely minute, but the GNU Emacs FAQ includes a trailing
> slash in the instructions on how to add directories to one's load path via
> .emacs [1]:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/dir/subdir/")

Above is inaccurate, the  .emacs  load-path directories DO have the
trailing slash.

> Not sure if that will help you at all. Primarily I'd focus on making sure
> ../emacs/org[-6.36c] is where you think it is? Not to come across as
> insulting... just never hurts to be sure!
>
> [1] See 5.17 here: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.html

Thanks , will re-read the FAQ.  Although it doesn't seem to refer to
installing or updating packages with Emacs, Like Org or Remember etc.

As I say, Emacs seems to find the Org 6.35c  components in
C:/emacs/lisp/org/    It hasn't however ever generated  .elc  files
from them - and I think that may be wrong, but don't know.