[Orgmode] Re: Inline image display and Emacs 22

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Inline image display and Emacs 22
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:24:16 +0200

Hi Bernt,

On Jul 15, 2010, at 3:14 AM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

Hi Carsten,

I'm seriously considering ditching my Emacs 22 in favour of Emacs 23
from a git snapshot.  I'm running an older version of Emacs from a
stable debian system as my workstation setup -- I've been too lazy to
upgrade so far but there are now a few nagging issues with org-mode that
are just starting to bug me enough to make this move.

 1. Inline image display doesn't seem to work correctly in Emacs22
    The images are displayed but they all overlap each other in the
    top-left corner of the document.  In the case of my org-mode
    document at http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html I only see the
    largest image in Emacs since the others are hidden behind it (I
    guess).  I really miss this feature in Emacs 22.

 2. Moving from agenda buffers to org buffers goes to the wrong place.
    This happens very frequently for me in Emacs 22.  I've never seen
    this problem in Emacs 23.  I've lived with this for a long time
    and just redoing the command goes to the right place.  I'm not
    expecting this to ever get fixed since I think it's an Emacs 22
    issue and not worth pursuing.

3. C-l handling is much nicer in Emacs 23 (okay this has nothing to do with org-mode :) Can I emulate that behaviour in Emacs 22 somehow?

 4. Copying subtrees with C-c C-x c loses fontification in the copies.
    I don't know if this happens in Emacs 23.

 And there are probably more issues I can't remember right off the top
 of my head right now.

So the only reason for me to stay at Emacs 22 is if there is some
benefit to the org-mode community for testing... and to be honest this
has been my main deterrent from doing the upgrade to Emacs 23 so far.

I'd much rather have you on Emacs 23 and do your testing there. After all, 23.1 has been released one year ago, and it fixes sooooo many things, everyone should upgrade. I think there is no reason to use Emacs 22 anymore at all. You write about "using a git snapshot". If you do that you will actually
be testing Emacs 24.  Emacs 23 should be considered finised and stable.

- Carsten