Re: [Orgmode] Re: skip entry with inherited tags

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: skip entry with inherited tags
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:48:54 +0200

On Jul 13, 2010, at 7:41 PM, Martin Pohlack wrote:

Hi Carsten,

On 13.07.2010 13:49, Carsten Dominik wrote:
Sorry for taking so much time for this.
I am still holding the patch because I have an almost unconscious itch
that something is wrong with it.  I cannot say what exactly it is
(if anything).  The logic of what needs to be done when in
block agendas has some reason.  One of the things I can say already
it that with such a local filter, I am afraid that updating the
agenda, or modifying the filter might fail or lead to strange results.
This is actually something you might want to work on testing.

Hard to respond to this vague situation :-).

It would be great if you could point me at more specific situations that might break or if others could test the patch. I have been using it for
more than a month now without problems.

The specific one I meant is if you use r or g to rebuild the agenda,
if you do something like a refile command which does an automatic rebuild,
do you get back the view you expected?

Also, if you apply other filter commands, either with "/", or narrowing
the filter with "/", does that give the expected results while you are
in your block agenda?

I will only be able to study this more closely after the release.

Take your time, I will wait for more details to emerge or feedback from
other testers.

One more note here: The current situation for block agendas is a bit
problematic as their limitations are not documented afaik.

Writing custom agendas is not easy in itself. If things don't work, it
is really hard to distinguish between driver errors and limitations of
the block agendas.

Do you have suggestions on how to improve the situation?

- Carsten