[Orgmode] Re: How to setup xdg for org-protocol ?

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: How to setup xdg for org-protocol ?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 14:12:47 +0200

Hi Sebastian,

Sebastian Rose wrote:
> Julien Fantin <address@hidden> writes:
>> Thanks Sebastian and David,
>> I now have firefox working, I had to use that html file though, as firefox
>> wouldn't bring up the application selection dialog with the test links on
>> worg.
>> Will now look into getting xdg-mime to work for chromium ...
>>> Or, of course "Firefox 3.5 specific (works without installed Gnome
>>> libraries)".  Worked fine for me (dwm), just one thing that is IIRC
>>> not mentioned on Worg: You have to click on protocol link to set path
>>> to emacsclient.  E.g.
>>>
>>> cat >> /tmp/test.html
>>> ^D
>>>
>>> and open /tmp/test.html in Firefox.
>
> Such links are on the dokumentation page in worg:
>
>    http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.php#sec-3_5
>
> Was it the mouse click, that made it work?
>
> If so, I could add a note on that page `for FF 3.5 click on one of these
> links ...'.

I had the same problem this morning, with latest FFx on latest Ubuntu.

I never had the window asking for which application to launch when clicking on
a `org-protocol://' link...

until I re-did the manipulation with:

gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/org-protocol/command
'/usr/bin/emacsclient %s' --type String
gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/org-protocol/enabled --type Boolean
true

(described on
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Register_protocol#All_Firefox_versions_.28requires_certain_Gnome_libraries_to_be_installed.29)

"Next time you click a link of protocol-type foo you will be asked which
application to open it with." : for me, after the above step (`gconftool-2'),
just entering `org-protocol://' in a new tab was sufficient to ask, this time,
for which application to run. Finally...

Not that intuitive...

Best regards,
  Seb

--