Re: [Orgmode] any idea how to convert org file to MS WORD an retain text

From: Torsten Wagner
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] any idea how to convert org file to MS WORD an retain text structure?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 08:48:53 +0900

Hi Rainer,

> I tried HTML export and then imported the html in Word but
> I end up in an unusable xml style document which word wants an stylesheet for
> which I do not have.

This is what does for me the best job if I have to deal with MS Word -
LaTeX conversion. How to do it with org-mode was answered already.

Let me bring another way into discussion.
Sometimes people ask for MS-Word files because they simply do not know
it better and the use MS-Word as a kind of media-container format. They
ask for MS-Word format but they will not process the document in any
way. Simply print it as it is.

This is often the case e.g., for conference proceedings where people
asked me for a camera ready MS Word document. Already the phrase
"camera-ready MS Word document" contains mutual exclusive words, taking
into account what a mess could happen after opening up a MS Word file in
a different version (both release and language version) of MS Office.

What I did already several times and I never got any complain was the
conversion of the generated PDF (from LaTeX) in a single image per page
(preferable png, tiff or any other compression format with a non-loss in
quality)
I placed this "page-pictures" in a Word-file, exactly as it would be
printed (I cropped the boarders with the MS-Word graphic tools.

This could be very quickly and easily done for < 10 pages by hand.

In the printed version of the proceeding, the conference organizers
simply added a head- and footnote. I guess they simply opened up every
MS Word file marked all content and copy and paste all of them in a
MS-Word file with the preferable head- and footnote.

As I said, I never got any negative feedback. Maybe the never noticed it
at all or there thought it might be some bug, safety feature, different
version problem, etc.

Just a quick and dirty trick which saves much much time. ;)

Greetings

Torsten