Re: [Orgmode] hypermedia programming with babel

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] hypermedia programming with babel
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 13:15:15 -0700

Hi David,

"David O'Toole" <address@hidden> writes:

> Since discovering org babel, I've been doing a lot of reading and
> brainstorming, and have collected some thoughts/code/plans in several
> places:
>
>  1. http://github.com/dto/org-babel-lisp
>
> Some very basic compatibility. I'm not experienced enough with either
> babel or slime, perhaps someone can help me flesh this code out. I
> have papers on file with FSF, please feel free to take
> org-babel-lisp.el and do whatever you want.

This looks like a good start, you could look to ob-clojure.el for an
example of a slime-driven lisp Babel file.
http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/lisp/ob-clojure.el

>  2. http://github.com/dto/hypo
>
> My thoughts and some code toward a reproducible-results sort of digital
> asset management system, with relevance to games.
> Github's formatter messes it up. To read the raw file, use this link:
> http://github.com/dto/hypo/raw/master/hypo.org
>
> I've made TODO items for the icons discussion. I want to be able to
> define/contribute my own competing theme.

That looks like a great application for literate programming.  It might
be nice to link to this project from the Babel uses page at
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/uses.php

> How can I help next?

Babel in general is in need of some language-specific introductory
tutorials, with the goal of laying out the basic usage plenty of
examples covering simple use case e.g.
- author a shell script which can be tangled out to an executable
- simple processing of data in tables, or execution of code blocks with
  the output captured in the buffer

There is also plenty of room for help with documentation, testing,
etc...

Thanks! -- Eric