Re: [Orgmode] [babel] Evaluating all source blocks in a document?

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [babel] Evaluating all source blocks in a document?
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 09:05:15 +0200

Hi Eric

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Erik Iverson <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

   On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 01:35:04PM +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I use Org-babel for literate programming in R, but the tangling
   takes quite
    > long. Therefore my question: as it is possible to evaluate a
   single code
    > block, is it possible to evaluate ALL code blocks i a document?
   that would
    > make debugging much easier.

   M-x org-babel-execute-buffer

C-c C-v C-b should be a shortcut for that in org-mode now, according to my reference card.

Thanks - I was looking for that one.

 Thanks - that  seems to be what I am looking for, but after trying it out, I realized the following: for each block, e new R session is opened. This does not work for literate programming, as different blocks belong to each other, i.e. one block opens a function, the next one closes it. In addition, I want to evaluate the results, i.e. created objects, in R - therefore the session should stay open. So my guess: tangle and debug.

   OTOH this may not make it easier to debug, the babel error window
   doesn't list line numbers or blocks where the error occurred.

Have you tried the :session argument?  It submits the code block to a running R session.  I use it for what you're doing with success.  You can set it per code block, or buffer-wide, try for example:

#+PROPERTY: session *R*

No - I actually have not looked at that one before, but that is exactly what I was looking for.

I'll come back if I have any further questions.

Thanks a lot,

Rainer

   Perhaps that should be a feature request to log what src block or
   org file
   line number the errors occurred in.

That would be nice.

    > Also: is it possible, to get some kind of automatic headings for
   the tangled
    > code blocks? That would make it easier to identify in which code
   block the
    > source code in the tangled file comes from.

Try

(setq org-babel-tangle-w-comments t)

and see if that does what you're thinking.  It will give headings for the source block, but I don't recall  what information they contain.

--
NEW GERMAN FAX NUMBER!!!

Natural Sciences Building
Office Suite 2039