Re: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org-babel integrated into Org-mode

From: Scot Becker
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org-babel integrated into Org-mode
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 10:59:18 +0100

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
>   - Org-babel adds rather specific and complex functionality to org-mode
>     that those who use it as a simple outliner and todo manager do not
>     require. (In other words, an option to turn it off might be nice for
>     those who are worried about "feature creep.")

I'm less struck by this point, as there are many features of Org-mode
which I personally don't understand or use and I'm certainly some
features the existence of which I am completely unaware.  However as
long as Babel doesn't significantly affect load time, I'd rather it be
present in the background, to simplify it's use.

And there's a significant advantage to having it included and 'on': ubiquity.  An  org user doesn't have to have set anything up to load up Eric's babel-ized version of the emacs starter kit and start playing with it in babel.  [http://github.com/eschulte/emacs-starter-kit]

It's the same advantage that org-mode gains by being part of Emacs.  We can say:  "Want to try org-mode?  just do 'M-x org-mode'  Now make some headlines with CTRL-RET and...."  Org babel is good, useful and stable enough that it deserves the same boost.

Having said that, I'm all for Carsten's new code execution key binding.  Org advertises C-c C-c as a friendly key which mostly 'does the right thing' on the current block.  I could imagine that unwary newish users might not realize that in this case 'the right thing' is to execute that code.  Paranoia does seem a good default practice in this case.

Scot