Re: [Orgmode] Org-jekyll - org-publish-initialize-files-alist

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org-jekyll - org-publish-initialize-files-alist
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 23:49:04 -0400

Puneeth <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:15 AM, Nathan Neff <address@hidden> wrote:
> [..]
> > I tried putting this in my emacs, but it didn't work:
> > (require 'org-protocol.el)
> > (require 'org-publish)
> > (require 'org-jekyll)
>
> I haven't used Jekyll, but should it be just org-protocol and not
> org-protocol.el?
> (require 'org-protocol)

That's true: the first argument of `require' should be the symbol that
is `provide'-ed by the load file. E.g. org-protocol.el ends with

,----
| (provide 'org-protocol)
`----

so the `require' form should indeed be

 (require 'org-protocol)

- and there is an additional convention that the filename should then be
the printname of the `provide'-ed symbol, with ".el" appended:
org-protocol.el in this case (but the convention can be overridden - see
the documentation of `require' for details).

The function that Nathan was asking about was originally defined in
org-publish.el which does

,----

| (provide 'org-publish)
`----

so normally, doing

   (require 'org-publish)

would be enough to load the file and therefore define the function.
However, nothing is going to help in this case, because the function,
even though it is declared and used in org-protocol.el, was deleted from
org-publish.el with this commit:

,----
| commit 339d6fe4bbf7b9858c6323d01f32d0c73a4cd3a8
| Author: Sebastian Rose <address@hidden>
| Date:   Thu May 13 13:43:53 2010 +0200
|
|     Publishing, cashing and timestamps
|
|     Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:
|     > Hi Sebastian,
|     >
|     > sorry for being slow.  Could you do me a favor and send me the cache
patch one
|     > more time - if possible updated to the current master.
|     >
|     > I am just not sure I have the right patch in my hands.
|
|     Hi Carsten,
|
|     no problem. The patch is attached.
|
|     Here is a list of my ChangeLog entries, redated to today:
|
|     2010-05-13  Sebastian Rose  <address@hidden>
|
|       * org-publish.el (org-publish-cache): Use one big hashmap for
|       each project defined in `org-publish-project-alist'. The
|       hashmap will hold pairs of our timestamp-filenames and
|       timestamps, as well as pairs of source-paths and associated
|       plists for arbitrary values. Currently only the files title is
|       stored there.
|
|       The caching feature writes the information gathered during
|       publishing to disk and re-loads it from there the next time we
|       publish the same project.  All those informations will hence
|       survive a restart of emacs.
|
|       One cache file per publishing project is used. The contents of
|       that file is the elisp that fills the new variable
|       `org-publish-cache'.  The cache file is named according to the
|       project with `.cache' added and lives in
|       `org-timestamp-directory'.
|
|       * org-publish.el (initialize-files-alist): This function and
|       the variable `org-publish-files-alist' are not used anymore in
|       favour of the reloadable cache and the functions for handling
|       it. Removed therefor.

`----

(hence the cc: to Sebastian). Either the function will have to be put
back, or the calls to the function in org-protocol.el will have to be
replaced by something else.

Nick