Re: [Orgmode] [org-babel] Does org-babel needs some simplification?

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [org-babel] Does org-babel needs some simplification?
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 21:29:01 -1000

On Jun 28, 2010, at 5:51 PM, Torsten Wagner wrote:

Dear All,

as a (quite, but happy) org-bable user of the first hour I followed up
the development process actively.
Nevertheless, some weeks or months pass where I had no need for
org-babel (yes, really strange I know).

Whenever I come back to org-babel, it takes me a huge amount of time to find myself back again in the syntax. Often I spend a day or two heavily reading the website and manual again to figure out how to make it working.

There are so many options. tangle files, results, scripting mode,
sessions, noweb, lot, etc.

Just yesterday, I fighted again to make a simple python script running
as desired to generate an automatic report. I did this dozen of times
and even by using some old report as template I still struggle with it.
Comparing old reports I noticed that I did it in many different ways.
Tangeling all snipplets, using noweb syntax, with and without session
support, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I really love org-babel and I think it is really
great. I just wonder wether it has become too complex and too difficult
to use to attract most of the org-mode people. Esp. considering people
who use it not on a regular basis.

Best regards

Torsten

Hi Torsten,

Part of the difficulty might be that certain default behaviors changed in the last several months. What worked in, say, February might not work the same way today. I've been thrown for a loop more than once when old files didn't work as they once did. So, this could cause problems for someone away from babel for a few months.

What would you simplify?  Could the library of babel help with this?

All the best,
Tom