Re: [Orgmode] Re: [BUG] nested blocks aren't protected on export

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [BUG] nested blocks aren't protected on export
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 08:30:29 -0700

Hi Nicolas,

> Hello,

>> The above patch looks definitely right to me.  In fact, I think the
>> org-if-unprotected should be around the entire content of the while
>> loop - with an additional fix to make sure search is resumed not
>> from the beginning of location of a match that has not been processed,
>> that would create in infinite loop.
>
> I had removed that protection check in a patch before: I think that
> comments should be removed (or transformed) during export, whatever
> their content is. After all, they are only comments. Any protection
> check is useless there.

I disagree, sometimes what looks like a comment is actually content
(see below)

> Now, if blocks get caught by the comment search loop, then some part
> of org-mode is not doing its job as #+begin_src isn't a comment
> according to the documentation. So, what part is seeing them as
> comments ?
>
> I think this first patch may be a quick fix, but it only obfuscates
> the true problem.

I would disagree here.  There *is* a case where a protected comment
should be retained in the export.  For example, if I'm writing a
document in which I want to discuss Org-mode markup.  It should be
possible for me to include verbatim Org-mode code in my document,
through the use of e.g.

  #+begin_src org
    ,* example org

    ,# this is a comment
    ,this is not a comment
  #+end_src

however without the protection check, the comment would be removed.  If
there is a problem with comments being marked as protected when they
shouldn't be, then that should be fixed where the protection is being
applied, but I believe that the protection check in this patch is
required.

Best -- Eric