[Orgmode] Confusion about tags-todo matches and TODO keywords

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Confusion about tags-todo matches and TODO keywords
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 19:39:38 -0400

Hi Carsten,

I was talking to Jeff Stern about tags todo matching offlist and we
think the documentation for tags-todo matching can probably be improved.

The description of C-c a M at
http://orgmode.org/manual/Matching-tags-and-properties.html
states

C-c a M

    Like C-c a m, but only select headlines that are also TODO items and
    force checking subitems (see variable
    org-tags-match-list-sublevels). To exclude scheduled/deadline items,
    see the variable org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-ignore-options. Matching
    specific TODO keywords together with a tags match is also possible,
    see Tag searches.

When I read this I think TODO items is any todo keyword but this isn't
the case.  It is only non-done TODO state keywords.  This makes
tags-todo matching not work for finding tasks to archive (normally
DONE | CANCELLED keywords in my setup)

Should we explicitly state that 'headlines that are also TODO items'
does not match DONE state keywords?  Or alternatively should TODO items
and DONE items be separate (and explicitly defined) in the documentation
-- like org-todo-keywords and org-done-keywords?

I still think 'TODO keyword' matches any todo keyword defined in
org-todo-keywords and maybe I need to be re-educated :)

Thanks,
Bernt