[Orgmode] Re: [babel] exports, caching, remote execution

From: Austin Frank
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] exports, caching, remote execution
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:29:11 -0400

Eric--

Thanks for the reply.

On Thu, Jun 17 2010, Eric Schulte wrote:

> I believe the exporter does respect caching, the following minimal
> example worked (i.e. was not re-run) for me on export to html.  Could
> you provide an example that demonstrates the problem?

Yes, I'll keep an eye on this and try to narrow it down to an example if
I can.

> Not that I'm currently aware of.  Dan has handled most of the remote
> execution work so he may know more than me in this regard.

And thanks to him for that!  I tipped him off to using TRAMP with ESS,
and he took it and ran further than I ever hoped!

> Is "scpc" in the line above a transport protocol?

Yes, it is scp over an existing ssh connection.  The following org-style
link goes to the relevant info page.

[[info:tramp:External%20methods][info:tramp:External methods]]

> Maybe this should be an org-mode wide features, i.e. the ability to
> resolve remote file references with C-c C-o and on export.  Does that
> sound reasonable, and would it take care of the need in this
> particular case?

C-c C-o actually works!  I was extremely encouraged to see this, and it
got my hopes up for export =)

If remote file references could be resolved during export, that would be
ideal.

> A block like the following may be an acceptable workaround in the near
> term (notice I named your block above).
>
> #+begin_src sh :file test.png :var remote=rplot :exports results
>   scp $remote ./test.png
> #+end_src

Nice suggestions, I'll try it later today.

Thanks,
/au

--
Austin Frank