Re: [babel] Re: [Orgmode] Re: [OT] gnuplot quality

From: Alan E. Davis
Subject: Re: [babel] Re: [Orgmode] Re: [OT] gnuplot quality
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 03:07:51 +0000

Hello Eric:

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am surprised, however, at this comment:
>
>> Gnuplot was ok when I didn't need quailty graphs.
>
> in what way does gnuplot fall short in terms of quality?  (but keep
> this part of the conversatino off-list please to avoid annoying others)

I don't have a great deal to say about this, so I will keep my remarks
on the list.

I needed/wanted a tool to produce publication quality graphs.  Gnuplot
is great, and I have used it in the past, to make tide graphs.  In my
experience, controls of the details of the graph were less accessible
to me, and the graphs I produced were pretty rough edged.  GRI has
worked very well for me for monthly tide graph calendars, with good
control of parameters.  GNUPLOT is fantastic for quick, and what I
felt were rough and ready plots.

GRI is easily installed on Ubuntu installs, and a gri mode for emacs
makes it easier.

I will try the suggestions you made to work out a babel solution for gri plots.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Alan