[Orgmode] Re: Daily Habit in time range 23:00 04:00

From: Mikael Fornius
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Daily Habit in time range 23:00 04:00
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:43:26 +0200

Alessandro Piras <address@hidden> writes:

> How can I express a daily habit TODO item that I can fulfill from 11:00PM to
> 04:00AM?

It is not possible AFAIK, org-habit is only working with whole day
intervals. No easy solution comes to my mind. It would be very complex
to apply hourly intervals to org-habit I think.

Maybe you can try to use the variable `org-extend-today-until' and
possibly make your day end at 04:00?

Then a daily habit will do the job.

* TODO Dayly habit
  SCHEDULED: <2009-12-15 Tue .+1d>
 :PROPERTIES:
 :STYLE:    habit
 :END:

I have not tried it myself but the source code of org-habit uses the
variable once at least. And it might have other side effects.

The end of the doc-string is also very funny :)

Please reply if and how you make it work!

Cheers!

org-extend-today-until is a variable defined in `org.el'.
Its value is 0

Documentation:
The hour when your day really ends.  Must be an integer.
This has influence for the following applications:
- When switching the agenda to "today".  It it is still earlier than
  the time given here, the day recognized as TODAY is actually yesterday.
- When a date is read from the user and it is still before the time given
  here, the current date and time will be assumed to be yesterday, 23:59.
  Also, timestamps inserted in remember templates follow this rule.

IMPORTANT:  This is a feature whose implementation is and likely will
remain incomplete.  Really, it is only here because past midnight seems to
be the favorite working time of John Wiegley :-)

Mikael Fornius