Re: [Orgmode] Re: Timestamp format questions

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Timestamp format questions
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 18:32:46 +0200

On Jun 8, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Joost Kremers wrote:

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 02:40:30PM -0400, Matt Lundin wrote:
You can use diary sexps to schedule more complex appointments.

,---- (info "(org) Timestamps")
| DIARY-STYLE SEXP ENTRIES
| For more complex date specifications, Org mode supports using the | special sexp diary entries implemented in the Emacs calendar/ diary
|      package.  For example
|
|           * The nerd meeting on every 2nd Thursday of the month
|             <%%(diary-float t 4 2)>
`----

See also the following FAQ entry:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#diary-sexp-in-org-files

Thanks! It seems, though, that this is a very new function, Aquamacs' Org-mode doesn't contain it... I guess I'll have to find out how to update the Org-mode
that comes with Aquamacs...

The function org-diary-class nicely covers the scenario above:

* 12:00-14:00 Weekly class
<%%(org-diary-class 4 8 2010 7 8 2010 4)>

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#org-diary-class

Is it still possible to schedule the time of the event as well?

It is already there, 12-14!

(I'm a bit surprised, though, that the format is `Month Day Year', when normally
Org-mode uses `Year Day Month'... ;-)

I hate this as well, but the decision was to be consistent within sexp commands. Calendar date format applied to all other sexp commands from the diary....

Sometimes you have to make difficult choices.... :-)

- Carsten

Also, is there a way to say that a certain event that occurs every
week does not occur on one specific date? For example, I teach a class
every Thursday, but the Thu. 13th of May was Ascension Day, so the
class was cancelled. I would like the event to not show up on such
days.

* 12:00-14:00 Weekly class
<%%(org-diary-class 4 8 2010 7 8 2010 4 19)>
;; iso number of the week to skip

Great, thanks!

Joost

--