Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-babel-R export parameters

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-babel-R export parameters
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 03:04:34 -0500

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 12:27:46AM +0100, Dan Davison wrote:
> Russell Adams <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I needed the ability to view what parameters were sent to plot in
> > R. Turns out that you can't query some things like the active filename
> > in R, so I went back to org.

Really, you can't query the filename of the active device in R. I
exported all the parameters to the R code block to R variables so I
can use them in R.

> > This patch takes each parameter and converts it to a variable in R,
> > including the filename (org_babel_filename).
> >
> > My intent is to parse the filename in R to create a dev.copy() to a
> > pdf while creating a PNG. Ideally then I can see the png inline, and
> > export to latex with the PDF.

See example.

> Hi Russell,
>
> I haven't completely understood paras 1 and 3 above. Would you mind
> posting an example that illustrates the problem that this patch solves?
>
> Dan

Here's a non-functional example that I hope can illustrate the point:

* HEading

  blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

#+BEGIN_SRC R :file whatever.png :width 300 :height 200 :exports none

a = c(1,2,3,4)
plot(a)

dev.copy(pdf,gsub(".png",".pdf",org_babel_filename))
#+END_SRC

#+results:
[[file:whatever.png]]

#+LATEX \\include[whatever.pdf]

The idea is I want to be able to see the inline PNG image of my graph
while writing, and when I export I'll point the latex exporter to the
PDF. This provides a vector format for Latex, instead of a low
resolution bitmap. Yes you can use PDF's as includes, and they look
great because they are a vector format.

Does that help?

I'm having issues with the R dev.copy, but that's a separate issue.

Thanks.

Russell Adams                            address@hidden