Re: [Orgmode] Re: MobileOrg for Android starts to become really usable

From: Matthew Jones
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: MobileOrg for Android starts to become really usable
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 19:33:55 -0400

With regard to the note capture display, I'm not sure how I feel about this... I like having the save button on the page because it reduces the number of clicks to save the note which can be huge if you are just trying to quickly jot something down.   I do, however, need to fix it so that the Save button is always visible.    The thing about this particular Activity display is that the text box is always fixed to some percentage of the display... so that the save button would never be off the page but rather the Text box would scroll if you had too much text in it.   I may consider adding the save button to a menu once I add more options to the Capture screen (like adding a TODO flag, or Tags) but I think it's most intuitive if the save button is on the display.... mainly because you can't miss it, some things about Android happen in the background so that if you navigate away from the page it automatically saves the contents... but that's not how this capture page works (and I don't know that I would want it to automatically save if you hit the back button) this allows it to fit into the workflow and makes it obvious that you have to hit the save button to accomplish the save action.     These are just my thoughts.   As I bake out the Capture system I will certainly revisit it if the flow works better to have it under the 'Menu' action.

73,
Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
http://matburt.net

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Robert Goldman <address@hidden> wrote:
julien cubizolles <j.cubizolles <at> free.fr> writes:

> Le vendredi 28 mai 2010 à 11:05 +0200, Sven Bretfeld a écrit :
> > Hi to all, hi Matthew
> >
> > I can say that Note capturing works on my HTC
> > Magic,
> Working also on my LG GW620, however the SAVE Button gets hidden by the
on-screen keyboard.
> I think I've seen other android apps keeping some buttons visible
> whether the keyboard is or isn't displayed.

If I might comment --- one of the worst things about Android applications, IMO,
is the way they are confusing about whether menus should be displayed in page,
or invoked by the menu button.

I'd urge you to avoid the on-page display in favor of the menu button.  If you
stick to that the user never needs to remember to scroll down to find the
controls and there are just too many ways for the on-page display to be rendered
either hard to reach or completely inaccessible.  This problem is made worse
(especially by contrast with the iPhone) because you don't have full knowledge
of the screen dimensions.

So I'd suggest that if a button is important (save, send, schedule, etc.) that
you make it reachable by the center menu button.

HtH,
cheers,