Re: [Orgmode] Simple Literate Programming Example

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Simple Literate Programming Example
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 13:59:26 -1000

On May 27, 2010, at 1:43 PM, w t wrote:

I put the "Simple Literate Programming Example" from the Org-Babel
Introduction in a file hello.org, namely,

==================hello.org===========================
#+srcname: hello-world-prefix
#+begin_src sh  :exports none
 echo "/-----------------------------------------------------------\\"
#+end_src

#+srcname: hello-world-postfix
#+begin_src sh :exports none
 echo "\-----------------------------------------------------------/"
#+end_src

#+srcname: hello-world
#+begin_src sh :tangle hello :exports none
  # <<hello-world-prefix>>
 echo "|                       hello world                         |"
  # <<hello-world-postfix>>
#+end_src
==================end=hello.org===========================

Then I do "M-x org-babel-tangle", and this generates the file hello:

=================begin=hello============================
#!/usr/bin/env sh

# [[file:~/ORG/hello.org][hello-world]]

# <<hello-world-prefix>>
echo "|                       hello world                         |"
# <<hello-world-postfix>>
# hello-world ends here
==================end=hello=============================

which does not seem to jive with the Introduction, which, among other
things, says the <<*>>'s should expand.  I've seen other examples
where the #'s are removed from before the <<*>>'s, but this does not
seem to matter. Any ideas on what  I'm missing?  My .emacs file is

==============begin=.emacs=============================
    (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
    (global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
    (global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
    (global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)

(setq load-path (cons "/tmp/org-mode/lisp" load-path))

(setq load-path (cons "/tmp/org-mode/contrib/lisp" load-path))
(require 'org-babel-init)
(require 'org-babel-sh)
(org-babel-load-library-of-babel)

and the "/tmp/org-mode/" is a Git directory from today.

Hi w t,

Thanks for pointing this out.

I believe you'll need to add the :noweb yes header argument to code blocks that include <<>> to be expanded.

I'll update the example on Worg to reflect this newer feature of Org- babel.

All the best,
Tom