[Orgmode] Re: Include FAQ to info? (was: Org-FAQ request for full-text d

From: Alan E. Davis
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Include FAQ to info? (was: Org-FAQ request for full-text dump)
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 07:01:44 +1000

Matthew:

There's an interest in org-help.org?  Would there be any question about its inclusion in org? No.  It's currently in a state of disarray, however.  Here are some of my thoughts about its current state.  As I mention below, I may be able to clean it up this Summer.

  I am afraid I got bogged down, for a number of reasons.   I am stubborn, and don't want to admit defeat, but it would be even better if someone who really understands org-mode was able to carry it forward.   And I have some ideas about improving it, but haven't had time or focus to get it done.  I'll attach a current copy, but there are quite a few sections added, esp. at the end, that were gratuitously personal notes as I was learning certain features.  If this were on some kind of git repo, I'd be interested in working off of it, and I'd learn to submit a patch, perhaps.

One thing I thought about is the keystroke compatibility issue, that it would be really nice if it worked like info.  As it is, it is an editable file, and I end up having to kill it to avoid overwriting it with some junk, when I use it.   The folding status is not persistent, another nice thing to have (from info).

The file opens up as a folded top-level outline.  The various headlines I have set up to be links to the manual pages about the same topic.  At I tried to have one or two main keybinding clues present in the folded view at least headline.  So a clue to the keybindings, and a link to the manual.  Even lower level headlines may have manual links.  That particular feature I like *a lot*!

I have gotten a bit lost with many of the new features, like babel, and haven't kept up on some of those.  I was clueless about agenda, but have begun to use it quite a bit, so at some point I worked on that section, but it's a miasma, a tangled mass, at this point, and I should have to clean that up.  This is an example of a section I started to work on when I was learning a certain feature or set of features.

So I guess that main caveat at this point is that it's become a personal help file, and more and more personal as time goes on.  Summer comes I would at some point clean it up.

I assigned it to a key.  For my key-binding setup, it worked ok to assign it to "C-c 7".   Maybe better to set it on a viewing mode, but I have been prone to hack as a go.

Be all that as it may be, here is the "current" state of the file on my system.

Alan.

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 10:43 PM, Matthew Lundin <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> no, org-help.org is not about the FAQ, it is a separate document, like
> a quick reference, made by Alan Davis.  It is more than the refcard,
> less than the manual.
>
> It seems to live here:
>
>  http://osdir.com/ml/attachments/orgF54hhOaC48.org
>
> Get in touch with Alan at address@hidden  Maybe with some feedback
> between the two of you, we will have a way to ship this with Org-mode
> and to link it in.

Great! I will contact Alan Davis about including org-help.org in the
distribution.

- Matt