Re: [Orgmode] Question about org-emph-re

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Question about org-emph-re
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 09:31:33 +0200

On May 21, 2010, at 4:46 AM, Robert Goldman wrote:

I have been trying to make the generic exporter do fontification (bold, italic, underline, etc.) and have fairly successfully managed to do this
by cargo-culting the code in org-latex.

But I've run myself on a rock.  I can't figure out what the various
matches are that you get when you match org-emph-re. There are at least
5 matches, and some may be empty, etc.  I don't /believe/ these are
documented anywhere (or I didn't find the docs).

Can anyone tell me what (match-string x) will be after a (string-match
org-emph-re string) call?  Or tell me where to look to figure it out?

If so, I think I can get the fontification to work for org-generic- export.

The match groups are now documented:

http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git/commitdiff/67331a2de01cabc8e5bfc0f45d901c10aecf96a2

(also, emacs-lisp question --- is there some way to /clear/ all the
registers for MATCH-STRING?  When I have been doing this, I have
occasionally had troubles where match-string outputs from previous calls
to string-match seem to "bleed through.")

You always need to check if there is actually a match by checking the return value of the call. If there was a match, then you can rely on the group. If there was no match, the groups bleed through

(when (string-match ...)
   ;; here you can rely on the groups
)

(when (re-search-forward "..." ...)