Re: [Orgmode] [babel] showing image of latex code results produced from

From: Erik Iverson
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [babel] showing image of latex code results produced from an R code block
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 14:23:40 -0500

Solution below!

Erik Iverson wrote:
Hello, consider the following org-mode file:

* R returning LaTeX for display

I have an R function that generates LaTeX code. I would like the resulting LaTeX to be displayed in an inline image in the org-buffer

#+begin_src R
lf <- function() {
    "\\LaTeX"
  }

lf()
#+end_src

#+results:
: \LaTeX

I want the above results to actually be just like below, i.e., process the results as LaTeX and include an image of the results. I think org-babel can do this sort of thing, it's just escaping me how!

* If I just specify LaTeX as the input language, all works as I hope

#+begin_src latex :file latex-logo.png
  \LaTeX
#+end_src[$]

The LaTeX logo is displayed properly below on my screen with the latest inline image functions.

#+results:
[[file:latex-logo.png]]

The solution is simply to give the R src block a name, then create a new src block of LaTeX code which calls the R src block using the noweb syntax. Note that in my actual application the LaTeX returned is *not* an R object like in my example, it is actually just text written to stdout, so in my R source block I use :results output.

#+srcname: R-latex
#+begin_src R
lf <- function() {
    "\\LaTeX"
  }

lf()
#+end_src

#+begin_src latex :noweb yes :file latex-logo.png
<<R-latex()>>
#+end_src

Now I can preview tables produced by Hmisc's latex function in my org-mode buffer, very nice!