[Orgmode] Links break when you archive; what are work arounds?

From: Emin.shopper Martinian.shopper
Subject: [Orgmode] Links break when you archive; what are work arounds?
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 07:24:27 -0400

Dear Experts,

I really like org-mode and am starting to use it more and more to
track my notes, todos, agenda, etc. One thing I am confused about is
that when I make a link to FOO and then archive FOO, the link no
longer works. I guess I was hoping that org-mode would be smart enough
to adjust links or look in the archive file but maybe that is too
complicated.

Is there a suggested work-around to preserve links when you archive
something? Alternatively, maybe I'm not using archive properly. My
general mode of operation is to have a file with my master to do list
and another file for my daily plan (with a separate node for each
day). In each day's node, I link to the master to-do list. Then when I
finish a task in the master list, I archive it (which breaks the
link). I would appreciate pointers to better modes of operation.

Thanks,
-Emin