[Orgmode] Re: Org-FAQ request for full-text dump

From: Dan Davison
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Org-FAQ request for full-text dump
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 00:13:57 -0400

Benjamin Andresen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello guys,
>
> quite often people ask question in the IRC-channel (#org-mode on
> freenode) which are answered in the FAQ. Now I personally find the
> org-faq very cumbersome to use, due to its javascript-interface that
> grabs keys.

+1

The info.js HTML export is an excellent invention, but I don't think
it's right for the FAQ, at least not with the current setup. Personally
I sometimes skim FAQs to get a sense of a project, and I think visitors
should be able to scroll down / search in a familiar fashion to get more
information. I think obliging random web visitors to use Info style
navigation by default is a bad idea. To be honest I've never read
anything in the FAQ because I can't easily skim it, and if I have a
specific question I look in the manual.

In addition to a flat format, a possible better way to use info.js for
the FAQ would be in a "startup contents" mode, whereby all headings and
questions are visible, but question answers are not.

Dan