[Orgmode] Re: Poll: Who is using these commands

From: Leo
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Poll: Who is using these commands
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 17:23:46 +0100

On 2010-05-09 16:59 +0100, Nick Dokos wrote:
> I disagree: they are not parenthesis movement bindings - they are
> structure-navigation bindings. For example, C-M-f is forward-sexp.
> In lisp, an sexp has some relationship to parentheses, but it is
> incidental; in other programming modes, an sexp is whatever makes
> sense in that language and these commands are redefined appropriately.

Perhaps you haven't noticed. SEXP is a useful abstract. For example, it
allows you to move across some_long_function_name in C and even in the
message-mode I'm currently using, not just parenthesis. Situation like
this will arise when editing org files too. It is a key binding that you
can rely on in various modes and they happen to do the right thing.

They are not re-defined, in most modes once you have a proper syntax
table, they just work. On the other hand, the defun abstraction is not
as universal as sexp so redefine them is fine.

C-M-f and C-M-b are keys that I use extensively.

I haven't used C-M-n and C-M-p much.

> I think it is entirely appropriate to use these bindings to navigate
> structure in org-mode as well.

I am not against binding suitable keys to structure movement.

Leo

--
CCL-USER> _