Re: [Orgmode] Final Question: Usage

From: Nathan Neff
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Final Question: Usage
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 15:01:05 -0500

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:57 PM, David Frascone <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm still using a monolithic file to inplement my DGTD (Dave's GTD).  I'm
> not as anal as TOD (The other Dave, Dave Allen), and I don't run a strict
> inbox.
>
> What I do want is:
> 1)  a place to keep track of live projects, bugs, conversations, etc.
> 2) A place for notes
> 3) A place to track TODO's
> 4) A way to archive off done stuff.
>
> So far, orgmode does the above with ease.  But, I am starting to run into
> walls.

> know about it till I add it.  Should I be using agenda mode to track todos?
> (This goes with my calendar questions a bit in the other mail).  If I do use
> agenda mode, how do I add multiple files?
>
> How do I work with multiple files?  Is there an easy way to jump back and
> forth from them, if I start making one file for Bugs, one for Escalations,
> one for projects, one for notes, etc?
>
> Finally -- and this is my biggest stumbling block:  Status reporting
> I'm looking for some way to generate a status report of what I've been
> working on.  So, this report should contain anything that has been modified
> in the last week.  (I drop date stamps a lot).  Also, the report should
> include extra flagged items, even if they did not get work.  (i.e.
> Background tasks that are starving should be noted -- but, since not all
> tasks / entries are background tasks, I'd make some custom tag, like,
> "reportme" that should be reported, regardless)
>
> I'm trying to generate a status view like that, export to HTML, and e-mail
> it to my pointy haired boss . . . . any way to do that?

David, this is a good opportunity to point you towards some of the
things that have
helped me the most w/org mode.

First, before I posted a question to the list, I would search the mailing
list archive on gmane.  There's a Search box right on the main org-mode page
http://orgmode.org/index.html#sec-5_2

Second, Bernt's org-mode website is awesome -- he goes through every detail
about how he uses org-mode, /and/ he shows you the settings and keyboard
shortcuts that he uses:

http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html

Third, Worg has some awesome tutorials by misc. people:
http://orgmode.org/worg/

And finally, I would recommend that you split up e-mails like this into specific
questions.  For example, this e-mail contained at least 2 big
questions -- how to
store your org files, and how to create pointy-haired status reports
:-)  Both of those
subjects are very broad, so in the future I suggest breaking your
e-mail into at least
two or more e-mails.

HTH,

--Nate