Re: [Orgmode] Questions about creating new nodes (headings)

From: Nathan Neff
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Questions about creating new nodes (headings)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 14:51:55 -0500

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:41 PM, David Frascone <address@hidden> wrote:
> Here are two questions (or maybe one question, and a bug report) from my
> note taking while reading the manual.
>
> ***** Best way to make next menu item?  M-Enter seems to work pretty well.
> I'm not to happy with the way org-mode adds a blank line after a block
> of text when doing C-S-RET from the entry line, and M-RET from the
> block of text.  Do most of you have a blank line after your text
> blocks, but before the next entry?

I think you want to customize the org-blank-before-new-entry variable.

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#blank-line-after-headlines-and-list-items

<snip>

 ***** C-<RET> does not seem to do what the info page suggests.
> It seems to go into a column selection mode.  Which, by itself, is
> very useful, and I'll have to remember that.   I can't seem to find
> the C-<RET> behavior anywhere (jump over the body, and add a new
> heading at the same level. C-S-<RET> Does do what it is supposed to,
> so, I guess a good workaround is C-S-<RET>, then backspace over the TODO.

I think this is an Aquamacs thing -- Aquamacs overrides the C-Ret binding with
some cua-set-rectangle-mark function that I know nothing about.

What I have found is that C-Ret runs "org-insert-heading-respect-content",
(except on Aquamacs).

Anyway, M-Ret will do the *same thing* (to the best of my knowledge)
/if/ you have this setting:

(setq org-insert-heading-respect-content t)

And I think that most people that use org-mode do indeed set
org-insert-heading-respect-content.

So, I don't bother w/C-Ret, and just use M-Ret all the time, after
setting the above variable to 't
HTH,

--Nate