Re: [Orgmode] Re: Limited #+INCLUDE ?

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Limited #+INCLUDE ?
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:12:49 -0600

Darlan Cavalcante Moreira <address@hidden> writes:

> This functionality would be really useful. Since it is more directly
> applicable for programming, then maybe an easier approach to implement it
> would be just a link to a function in a file. For instance
>
> [[file_def:/path/to/file::definition_name][linkname]]
>
> Org could rely on the capability of the target major-mode to select the
> region enclosing the function (c-mark-function for C/C++,
> py-mark-def-or-class for python, mark-defun for lisp, etc.). This would
> avoid the necessity of including commenting marks in the code and although
> it would be limited to a "function body at a time" it would be enough in
> many situations.

Following in this "major mode specific behavior" direction, maybe it
would be possible to make use of the tags functionality for linking to
specific functions, chapters, etc... based on the mode of the target
file.

(info "(emacs)Tags") ;; how great is it that gnus resolves these links

Tags would allow for robust links to points in changing files without
the need to place text anchors into the files themselves.  The immediate
downside is that tags rely on a TAGS table to resolve links.  This table
can easily be ignored from version control (for collaboration).  Then
Org-mode could use the `find-tag' function to resolve it's links, maybe
in combination with the function delimiting features Darlan mentioned
above to references entire function/object ranges.

-- Eric