[Orgmode] Re: Suggestions needed for handling "ideas"

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Suggestions needed for handling "ideas"
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 12:07:00 +0200

Hi Ali, John and all,

Ali Tofigh wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 03:46, John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Frequently my notes on meetings contain ideas for stuff to try. Does
>>> anyone have any advice on how to handle these?
>>
>> For ideas I just use a done TODO state called "NOTE".  I have the key M-z
>> bound to create one and switch me to the Org-buffer, so that I can stay
>> there and keep typing.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried both checkboxes and TODO items
> to keep track of my ideas, but your idea of using a done state seems
> very neat.

I've another view on this subject -- but I've to be honest at this early
stage: *I currently have no solution that completely satisfies me*.

I really am puzzled by using a "TODO state" for saying "this is a note".

For me, a so-called TODO state is a circumstance (or a mode), so one
transitional property on a cycle. That's something that evolves over time,
such as:

    TODO -> NEXT -> STARTED -> WAITING -> DONE

A NOTE does not belong to such cycles. It's just some kind of "property".

I would be more inclined to view a NOTE "property" as a tag, but that does not
satisfy me neither. Tags are for contexts, mainly resources we need to have at
hand, or locations we need to be, or time ranges in which the action makes
sense.

Maybe it should be a real PROPERTY?  Anyway, as I don't have the solution yet,
I don't have yet a proper way to mark my notes as NOTES...

I hope others can share their views on this?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban