[Orgmode] Re: CONTENTS visibility for subtrees

From: Ali Tofigh
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: CONTENTS visibility for subtrees
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 17:41:04 -0400

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 17:26, Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Ali Tofigh <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I love the CONTENTS visibility state for my org documents. But when I
>> visit headings and use TAB to expand them revealing the text they
>> contain, I want to be able to fold some of them back and show only the
>> subheadings (all sublevels). Is there a way of accomplishing this? I
>> can't find it in the manual.
>
> TAB both folds and unfolds.  You can use S-TAB to do this globally
> getting back to your contents view.

True, but TAB on a headline will not give you the CONTENTS visibility
for a subtree, i.e, using TAB on a heading never gets to a point where
only the subheadings are shown. And S-TAB is global, while I want
something local: I don't want to fold all the trees that I have
previously opened.

As an example:

* H1
** H11
** H12
* H2
** H21
** H22

First, I want to see the text under H1 so I use TAB on it. Then I want
to see the text on H2 so I use TAB on that. Now I want to basically
undo my use of TAB: I want to fold H2 so that I can still see the
subheadings (H21 and H22) but no text, and I want to keep the
visibility state of H1 intact.

Cheers,
/Ali