[Orgmode] Re: [Patch] M-Right and M-Left behave differently on headings

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [Patch] M-Right and M-Left behave differently on headings and list items
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:04:08 -0400

> On Apr 21, 2010, at 3:32 PM, Bastien wrote:
>
>> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> do others agree with Matti's view?
>>
>> FWIW, I do.
>
> There is still another difference.
>
> Currently, when I execute the indentation command
> several times in a row, the range to which this applies
> is locked.
>
> So for example"
>
>      - level 1a
>         - level 2a
>         - level 2b
>         - level 2c
>      - level 1b
>
> If I now go on level 1a and use M-S-left, level 1b becomes a sibling
> of 2c.  If I immediately after this do M-S-right, 1b should be indented
> along with 2c, but this does not happen because the item range is
> locked.  If, however, you do something in between, like moving the
> cursor by one character, 1b will be included.
>
> I believe I did this a long time ago, because I felt that not locking
> the range for commands in direct succession would too quickly modify
> the structure, including at places outside of the current view (
> beyond the window end)
>
> If you are calling for more consistency, maybe this "feature" should
> go as well?

Wouldn't keeping it simple be best?  ie. just have M-left and M-right
move the current entry and let M-S-left and M-S-right move as it does
today (including locked regions etc)

I've found I want to move this one list entry in the middle left and
can't since it drags the entire substructure with it -- so I resort to
deleting (or inserting) spaces to move the one line.  It's works but
it's a little more cumbersome than prompting/demoting the entire
structure.

But then it's only one line so it's not hard to edit a single line...

I don't think removing the lock is really a good idea personally.

Regards,
Bernt