Re: [Orgmode] suggestions of Android smartphones

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] suggestions of Android smartphones
Date: 21 Apr 2010 10:09:47 +0200

Hi all

I'm sorry to break the thread. By mistake I sent an answer to Daniel as
a PM. Now, I don't have the previous posting because of my expiration
settings. I will do some editing to my original answer because of
questions he asked me in the meantime. I'm really sorry.

Hi Daniel

Daniel Martins <address@hidden> writes:

> BTW what Android smartphone do you have?

I have a HTC Magic. ConnectBot is my favorite application. I have Emacs
always running as a daemon on my Computers. So connecting to them via
ConnectBot and starting Emacs is a matter of five seconds. No need for a
genuine Emacs on Android.

EDIT: You can do the same if you have Emacs 23 running and if you are
willing to never shut your PC down. To speed up the start of Emacsclient
I connect to the PC via ConnectBot using a key, not a password. My
.bashrc has an alias defined to start 'emacsclient -t' with the alias
'ec'. Emacs will be available within ca. 5 seconds even from a distance
of 300km. (You should have a UTMS flatrate for this.)

For Org stuff, I have an Emacs function that automatically generates
html files of all important agenda views once every hour. I copy these
files to the phone via AndFTP once or twice a day. Capturing I do with
Remember the Milk. So there are two methods of working with Org on
Android before MobileOrg is ready: the ssh method and the FTP/Remember
the Milk method. I'm quite happy with this solution.

EDIT: I explained my RTM method in a posting some weeks ago. The code is
included in that thread. Just search the archive for 'Remember the
Milk'. As for the function for generating html exports of the agenda
views:

(defun sb-org-update-year-agenda-file (&optional force)
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (save-window-excursion
      (let ((file "~/.gtd/html/org-year-agenda.html"))
        (org-batch-agenda "a" org-agenda-ndays 180 org-agenda-include-diary nil)
        (org-write-agenda file)))))

;; do it once at startup
(sb-org-update-year-agenda-file t)

This produces an html output of the main agenda view for 6 months. I
have a few other export functions for NEXT/HOME, NEXT/OFFICE and the
like. All html files are updated every 30 minutes to include all tasks
captured in the meantime:

(defun sb-org-update-all ()
  (interactive)
  (sb-org-update-today-txt-agenda-file)
  (sb-org-update-week-agenda-file)
  (sb-org-update-mit-txt-agenda-file)
  (sb-org-update-mit-agenda-file)
  (sb-org-update-big-agenda-file)
  (sb-org-update-today-agenda-file)
  (sb-org-update-year-agenda-file)
  (sb-org-update-home-agenda-file)
  (sb-org-update-office-agenda-file)
  (sb-org-update-waiting-file)
  (sb-org-update-delegated-file)
  (sb-org-update-project-agenda-file)
)

(run-at-time nil 1800 'sb-org-update-all)

On the Android side, I download these files once or twice a day to the
SD card with AndFTP (via SFTP of course). The directory ~/.gtd/html is
configured as the working directory in AndFTP. So, just press 'select
all' and start the download. This takes about 10 seconds, because the
year agenda file is quite large. I have linked each file on the Android
desktop with an Icon, which opens the file in an html viewer. The view
contains all formatting and colors of the original Emacs agenda view.

As you see, I export some agenda views also as txt files (it's the same
function as above, just replace the file ending .html with .txt). I use
these files with GnomeOSD, i.e. my most important appointments,
deadlines and things do to appear on my PC screen once an hour in large
letters and with a sound, to remind me of my tasks.

Greetings

Sven

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Sven Bretfeld