[Orgmode] Re: How you ORGanize yourself? (aka: Why not one file to rule'

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: How you ORGanize yourself? (aka: Why not one file to rule'em all?)
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 09:50:53 -0400

Hi Marcelo,

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> writes:

> This is a thread to share your org dir (you have one right) file
> structure. The title is because I see many of org users prefer having
> big monolithic files, and I have a slightly different line of thought.

I have a handful of central files: e.g, inbox.org, reading.org,
computer.org, writing.org, and so on. I've found, however, that on my
relatively modest machines org/outline buffers slow down at appr.
12,000+ lines and become more or less unnavigable at appr. 30,000+ lines
(especially if they have a deeply nested structure). Whenever a file
gets too large, I simply create new files for sub-projects and
sub-topics (e.g., perl.org, emacs.org, etc.) and link to them from the
main file (e.g., computer.org). I also do a lot of archiving.

FWIW, I've found it quite convenient to rely on filetags to organize my
notes. I've written a few functions that allow me to limit my agenda to
a subset of agenda files that share a filetag (e.g., "emacs" or
"writing"). This is a bit quicker than calling agenda commands on all
agenda files and then filtering afterward. It also allows for greater
focus on a particular area of work.

Here are the functions:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.php#set-agenda-files-by-filetag

Best,