Re: [Orgmode] Re: Emacs setups?

From: Nathan Neff
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Emacs setups?
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 12:26:35 -0500

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 9:04 AM, Andrea Crotti <address@hidden> wrote:
Nathan Neff <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm not an Emacs user, but use it for org-mode, mostly on a Mac.
>
> I tried finding some discussions on this list about what everyone
> on this list uses for Emacs.
>
> I have three Emacs builds that I bounce back & forth between:
> 1) Aquamacs
> 2) http://atomized.org/wp-content/cocoa-emacs-nightly/ (found on
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsForMacOS#toc10)
> 3) http://emacsformacosx.com/ (also found on
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsForMacOS#toc10)
>
> Can anyone point me to a thread where org-mode users discuss the version
> of Emacs that they use and OS, etc?

I personally use the 2) on OSX 10.6 and I'm quite satisfied.
Sometimes it happens that it crashes (very seldomly) but for the rest is
quite good.

I don't understand the difference with 3), maybe less packages already inside.

Anyway not being an emacs using org-mode is a "pity", because if you get
more confident with emacs itself you will be also much more productive
with org-mode (and viceversa).

Thanks for your feedback Andrea.  I'm consistently getting better at Emacs (for example, I use "occur" and have done some debugging w/Lisp code, and have installed several plugins).

I use Vim for most of my programming and text file manipulation, but I'd like to learn how to do the same cool stuff in Emacs, or learn the Emacs way of doing it.  If you have any cool features of Emacs you'd like to recommend, please send them to me.

--Nate