Re: [Orgmode] [CONTRIB?] using orgmode to send html mail?

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [CONTRIB?] using orgmode to send html mail?
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 09:54:49 -0400

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot for this, I think I'll use it quite a bit.

This may be specific to my setup, but in case this is useful to others,
as a gnus user I had to do

(setq mail-user-agent 'message-user-agent)

Without altering this --- i.e. with mail-user-agent set to the default
value of 'sendmail-user-agent --- org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize puts the
outgoing message in mail-mode (a.o.t. message-mode). For me, that meant
that the resulting outgoing email was rendered verbatim in gmail,
whereas from message-mode it is fine. The exact contents of outgoing
emails are below.

I noticed one small bug, but perhaps it's an org-mode bug? When I use
org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize on this

,----
| *** Tasks
|     - [ ] Check Popen.returncode of python system calls
`----

I get the following, which renders as a checkbox with an X, whereas my
checkbox was empty.

,----

| |
`----

Comparison of outgoing mail from mail-mode and message-mode:

With an org buffer containing (as active region or not)

,----
| * heading
|   text
`----

Here is what the outgoing email (i.e. the stdin received by
sendmail-program) looks like from mail-mode (mail formed by
org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize)

To: address@hidden
Subject: test16

heading

text

And here is what the outgoing email looks like from message-mode (exact
same content, but pasted from mail-mode into message-mode).