Re: [Orgmode] [CONTRIB?] using orgmode to send html mail?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [CONTRIB?] using orgmode to send html mail?
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 08:49:22 +0200

On Apr 5, 2010, at 7:39 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:

Hi,

It is now possible to send HTML mail directly form an org-mode buffer.

Calling `org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize' (could probably use a better name)
from inside of an org-mode buffer will use `org-export-as-html' to
generate HTML of the buffer (respecting regions and subtree narrowing),
and will then package the resulting HTML with all linked images into a
message buffer.

As usual thanks to Carsten's thoughtfully organized functions and
control variables this was surprisingly easy to implement.

Cheers -- Eric

The code is still up at http://github.com/eschulte/org-mime

CONTIRB?  yes, after the release.....

- Carsten

"Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:

Dan Davison <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

As I understand it the code you've written is designed to be called in a message-mode buffer with orgstruct-mode in force. Would it make sense to also include in your package a complementary function, that one calls in
an org-mode buffer? I envisage this generating the HTML, forming the
multipart email contents, and then saving it to the kill ring, so that
it can be pasted into an email.

This function would have access to the directory-name and so should be
able to resolve relative paths. Also, there might be some other
advantages -- for example when exporting just a region or subtree,
buffer-wide properties such as #+TITLE and #+AUTHOR are picked up by the
org exporter and packaged into the HTML.

In other words, can I use your machinery to package up the HTML
generated by Org's C-e dispatcher into an appropriately-constructed
email?

Hi Dan,

That sounds like a good idea, I've added it to a fledgling task list
packaged in the README at [1].  I'd say there are two options.

1) which you mentioned saving the entire exported content to the
  kill-ring.  One problem here is that everything is still text and
  pastable only *before* the mime export process, which means that
  linked images wouldn't resolve after pasting into the email client.

2) having the function generate a new mail buffer containing the
  exported content.  This buffer would need to have it's
`buffer-file-name' set, for images to resolve during export. I'm not
  sure how this should best work.

Thanks -- Eric

Footnotes:
[1]  http://github.com/eschulte/org-mime