[Orgmode] Spreadsheet FR

From: Russell Adams
Subject: [Orgmode] Spreadsheet FR
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 16:46:48 -0500

Fellow Org'ers,

I adore the text spreadsheet, however there's one feature Excel
provides which I don't have in org.

I often use Excel for "lists", where I can sort or narrow the data by
specific criteria from a larger list.

Would it be feasible to "narrow" a table by criteria on a specific
field in between separators? Ie: only display those cells in field A
if they are > 2, or if field B matches "Pick Me!".

A nice feature would be updating the totals at the bottom with only
the visible data.

Just like the outline folding the goal would be to hide entries that
don't match, they should still remain.

So for example:

|--------+--------|
| *Lime* | *Cost* |
|--------+--------|
| Y      |      1 |
| Y      |      2 |
| Y      |      2 |
| N      |      3 |
| N      |      4 |
| Y      |      5 |
|--------+--------|
| Total  |     17 |
|--------+--------|
#+TBLFM: @8$2=vsum(@address@hidden)

I can already sort by Lime or Cost, but if I filtered where Lime =
"Y", I would have:

|--------+--------|
| *Lime* | *Cost* |
|--------+--------|
| Y      |      1 |
| Y      |      2 |
| Y      |      2 |...
| Y      |      5 |
|--------+--------|
| Total  |     10 |
|--------+--------|
#+TBLFM: @8$2=vsum(@address@hidden)

No loss of the lines, on reload or changing the view they would come
back, but note that the formula at the end didn't consider
them. Ideally the cell references wouldn't change (the example above
would break if recalc was hit).

I'm not sure whether this would be cumulative or whether the criteria
specification would need to allow for multiple logical conditions.

Would anyone else consider this a useful feature? I'm not sure how
difficult the implementation would be.

Thanks.