Re: [Orgmode] Re: Todo state for [un]ordered list items?

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Todo state for [un]ordered list items?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 15:07:59 -0600

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Memnon Anon <address@hidden> wrote:
John Hendy <address@hidden> writes
> * Projects
> ** Project 1
> *** History/Overview
> *** Journals
> **** <2010-03-27 Sat>
> ***** Main thing I did 1
> - did stuff

--snip--

First, I would suggest a different organisation. You are 5 headlines
deep, because you chose this kind of setup, but with some tweaking, you
could avoid this:
     a) Give each Project an own file.
     b) Don't give dates a headline.
So, you would have a file like this:

* Project 1
** History/Overview
** Journals
*** DONE Main thing I did 1
<2010-03-27 Sat>
*** TODO Stuff 2
*** TODO Stuff 3

I started this way (pro1.org, pro2.org, etc.) but found changing buffers constantly to be annoying. I much prefer them all in one place now, but am still open to changing that! I can see advantages to the one-file-per-project idea. For instance I just wrote up a paper at home and exporting to html/latex was far easier since it had the whole file to play in. I would have had a harder time getting just my paper out of a whole 'personal.org' file...

Followup/claification:
- what are your pro/cons for why you go one file per project vs. a big file? I know different people have different opinions on this. I believe Carsten said in at least one of his main talks on org-mode that he has on big one as does Sacha Chua who I emailed with a little and uses org-mode a ton.
- The journals are not always todos. Sometimes they are just notes, but need a time stamp anyway. I can see your point of doing it that way. I burn a headline level just on the time stamp.
- My main purpose of the time stamps is that I need to print my status and then double side tape it into an intellectual property notebook. I think I can do this with agenda.

Side note: I wonder about putting one file vs. many files in this new 'beginner tutorial' to help new people choose a set up when first starting? Might be cool. Not to say one is better, but to at least offer what I'm looking for: experience users' input as to what is benefited from one style vs. the other and what functionality is gained/lost/tougher.

If you want to review what you did on a specific day, use the agenda for
this. For "substuff", if it is really not worth a separate task, there
are lists.

I will look into agenda more. Have not explored it's functionality much yet. Been on org-mode for about 2 weeks!

> - If not, I'm absolutely game to hear alternative work flows and how
> others manage without this feature at present!
> --- So far, I've just been making the headline a TODO and then putting
> in a [/] at the top; unordered list items that are todos also have a [
> ] which is tracked by the top level todo. - Bonus: if this is the best
> (headline = todo and unordered lists are check boxes), how can I
> implement a shortcut to toggle the 'todo checkbox' state for unordered
> list items? It would be awesome to have a C-c C-t equivalent for
> sub-items such that they were given a checkbox!

I do not understand, did you miss this:
,----[ (info "(org)The very busy C-c C-c key") ]
|    - If the cursor is in a plain list item with a checkbox, toggle the
|      status of the checkbox.
`----

Sorry, this is not what I meant. You answered my 'state' question in your next point with C-c C-x C-b. I know how to toggle the checkbox 'state'... I meant to toggle the state of having a checkbox... period, aka go from
- item 1
- [ ] item 1

To make a checkbox without typing "[ ]", use C-c C-x C-b:
,----[ (info "(org)Checkboxes") ]
| `C-c C-x C-b'
|      Toggle checkbox status or (with prefix arg) checkbox presence at
|      point.  With double prefix argument, set it to `[-]', which is
|      considered to be an intermediate state.
|         - If there is an active region, toggle the first checkbox in
|           the region and set all remaining boxes to the same status as
|           the first.  With a prefix arg, add or remove the checkbox for
|           all items in the region.
|
|         - If the cursor is in a headline, toggle checkboxes in the
|           region between this headline and the next (so _not_ the
|           entire subtree).
|
|         - If there is no active region, just toggle the checkbox at
|           point.
`----

This is what I was looking for. Dumb that I missed it. In my skimming, only the 'toggle checkbox status' descriptions were popping out to me so it seemed to be for something of a tree-level C-c C-c vs. what it actually does. Even after re-reading it, though, it seems confusing:
- I don't get what a '[double] prefix arg' is. C-c C-x C-b does indeed, add a check box to an unordered list item no matter where I am on the line, but according to this, since I'm not providing a prefix argument (with C-u, right?), it should only toggle the status? But there is no 'status' so it adds?
- How do I get the box to go away if I don't want it anymore?

If you need this very often, you may want to bind this to an easier
keycombo.

Did this help so far?

memnon

P.S. Somewhat un-related, but while taking about lists... In an unordered list like this (my todo list for today)

* TODO [0/4] <2010-03-27 Sat>
 - floors
   - [ ] sweep or vacuum all hardwood
   - [ ] wash all hardwood
   - [ ] wash hardwood floors
   - [ ] wash kitchen floor
 - [ ] send envelopes via post office
 - [ ] vacuum back stairs and hallway

If I have either
- floors
or
- [/] floors
then

* TODO says [0/4] (it's only counting the sub-items under floors). If I have
- [ ] floors then TODOS says [0/3] (it's counting the highest level items: floors, send, and vacuum)

Aren't
 - [ ] send envelopes via post office
 - [ ] vacuum back stairs and hallway

Still under the todo headline whether -floors is a checkbox or not? Shouldn't they be counted? Based on the example here (http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/org/Checkboxes.html), I should get the behavior I expect. In fact, when yanking it into my file, I get this instead of what's shown on the tutorial page:
* TODO Organize party [1/3] (instead of [3/6]
- call people [1/3]
- [ ] Peter
- [X] Sarah
- [ ] Sam
- [X] order food
- [ ] think about what music to play
- [X] talk to the neighbors

Bug or something in .emacs that I'm unaware of?

Sincere thanks,
John