Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-mode tutorial questionaire

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-mode tutorial questionaire
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:04:30 -1000

On Mar 23, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs wrote:

Hi

Alexander Poslavsky schrieb:
I was wondering if you could elaborate on the following. Are you
suggesting that new users should never use M-x customize?
Well, I don't know about anybody else, but I *never* use it. I think it is awful. But then, what do I know….
---Zitatende---

Maybe that's a bit opinionated for a tutorial then. I do use M-x
customize and I believe it has its merits.

--
       Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs <address@hidden>
                            TauPan on Ircnet and Freenode ;)

Aloha all,

I think Alexander's manual is an excellent start and will be helpful to newbies.

To be successful, the manual will have to make many choices for the newbie, among them whether or not to use customize. It will be very different from the usual manual, which is designed to expose full complexity.

IMHO, the goal of describing a sensible path to productive use of Org- mode should be the highest priority. When there is the urge to say to the newbie, "you can do this or that", it should be avoided. Instead, the template should be "do it this way."

I agree with Friedrich that customize has merits (though I don't use it). I like Alexander's vivid language, but agree with Friedrich that it doesn't need to be so opinionated in this case. Perhaps the template for these alternate paths might be a footnote "there is [[another way][link]] to do this."

All the best,
Tom