[Orgmode] Re: icalendar: exporting times of day specified in heading?

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: icalendar: exporting times of day specified in heading?
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:26:03 -0400

Hi Stephen,

Sorry for the late reply, but I've just begun using "i d" to enter dates
into my org files and I have a few comments on the patch you submitted
in February.

Stephen Eglen <address@hidden> writes:

>> I often use org-agenda-diary-entry to make simple entries into
>> an agenda.org file.  I see that the agenda is clever enough to recognise
>> if a time range has been typed into the heading.  However, this time
>> range is not exported by the icalendar code.
>
> Attached is a patch to the code underlying 'i d' entries in the *Org
> Agenda* buffer.  If a time of day is specified in the entry, it is
> extracted from the entry and put into the timestamp of the diary entry.
> (The .ics exporting code recognises these timestamps and therefore the
> ics export code does not need altering.)
>
> For example, given the following three entries added using 'i d' from
> *Org Agenda*:
>
> i d RET test 1 12:00-14:00 classes RET
> i d RET test 2 did you get 7am wake up call? RET
> i d RET test 3 find 3--5 volunteers RET
>
> then the following entries are added to agenda.org:
>
> *** 2010-02-03 Wednesday
>
> **** test 3 find 3--5 volunteers
>      <2010-02-03 Wed>
> **** test 2 did you get wake up call?
>      <2010-02-03 Wed 07:00>
> **** test 1 classes
>      <2010-02-03 Wed 12:00-14:00>

When I enter the time of day after typing "i d", the time of day is
added to the timestamp (as above) but is *not* removed the headline.
E.g.,

"Day entry: 9:00am go shopping [RET]"

...results in the following headline...

* 9:00am go shopping
  <2010-03-17 Wed 09:00>

As a consequence, the agenda line duplicates the time of day.

index:      9:00...... 9:00am go shopping

I'd be curious to know whether others can duplicate this bug.

> As this behvaiour may not be desired by all, I've currently put the code
> conditional on org-agenda-search-headline-for-time being non-nil (the
> default is t).  If that variable is nil, then the above three test
> entries generates the regular tree:

Might I request an independent variable for this? While I would like the
agenda to scan my headlines for time of day specifications (and thus
have org-agenda-search-headline-for-time set to t), I am not sure I want
org-agenda-add-entry-to-org-agenda-diary-file to alter the information I
enter at the "Day entry: " prompt.

Thanks,
Matt