Re: [Orgmode] [ANN] It's not a bird, it's not a plane, it's... org-icons

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [ANN] It's not a bird, it's not a plane, it's... org-icons.el, reloaded !
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:06:57 -0400

Alexander Poslavsky <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mar 15, 2010, at 2:17 PM, Nicolas Girard wrote:
>
>> I'm pleased to announce a brand new, shiny release for org-icons.
>> A few minor limitations remain, but I think the code has matured
>> enough to be used on a daily basis.
>
> Tried it today on the latest git-version, works well. This seems a very good
> idea, is this going to be in mainline org?

Hi Nicolas,

My first impression is that this is really nice!

There was another thread recently about the plain theme on the org web
page, and I do agree with the idea of attempting to appeal to more
mainstream tastes in external appearance. The logic, and lisp
technology, underlying org-mode is so sophisticated and represents so
much good work, that it would be a real shame if potential users were
put off trying org-mode merely because it doesn't meet their
expectations of what a computer application looks like. With the support
for image display in modern emacs, it appears that that might be
unnecessary, as you are demonstrating.

If you have time, I'd be excited to hear your suggestions for how
begin_XXX end_XXX blocks should be displayed in your framework. (One
obvious thought is that for begin_src <LANG>, it would be nice to have a
different icon for each language.)

Thanks for this,

Dan