Re: [Orgmode] question about writing org-remember templates

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] question about writing org-remember templates
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:49:06 +0100

On Feb 25, 2010, at 1:56 PM, Emin.shopper Martinian.shopper wrote:

Dear Experts,

Thanks for org-mode. It's great!

I have a question about org-remember templates: Is there a way to have
the heading (i.e., the 5th argument in an org-remember template)
chosen in a more interactive way? For example, I'd like to do
something like

      ("TODO" ?t "* TODO %? %^{topic} \n %i\n " "~/org/todo.org"
"Tasks/^{topic}")

where the topic the user enters will get used in deciding which
heading to put the item under.

 1. Is this possible?

Yes, use the C-1 prefix when storing the note.  And read

http://orgmode.org/manual/Storing-notes.html#Storing-notes

and also check the docstring of the variable

org-remember-interactive-interface

 2. Is there a simple hack I can do to the latest version of org-mode
to do it myself? (Pointers/suggestions to appropriate .el files
appreciated)
 3. Can I avoid asking the user for topic multiple times and just
have the first value entered by the user used in all places?

You can file to the same location as the last time using the C-0 prefix when storing the note. All this is also shown in the commentary in the remember buffer.

HTH

- Carsten

Thanks,
-Emin