[Orgmode] org-babel with R, scrolling an inferior ESS process

From: Erik Iverson
Subject: [Orgmode] org-babel with R, scrolling an inferior ESS process
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:00:06 -0600

Hello,

I have been a happy user of ESS with R for years. Recently, I've begun to use org-mode for a lot of things, so of course I am interested in org-babel. I checked out a version of org-mode yesterday (2-15-2010) from git.

Using just ESS, I would write a source file, test.R, and define a function in it, say

#identity function
test <- function(x) {
}
test(3)

I could then type C-c C-c (coincidentally, and happily, this is the ESS keybinding used to send a block of code to the inferior *R* process) to send the above lines to the running *R* process, and the output would show up in the *R* buffer, and scroll to the bottom of the *R* buffer since I have set

(setq comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-output t)

in my .emacs.

However, now I hope to write a file, test.org, and write something like:

* Identity function
#+begin_src R :session :results output silent
  test <- function(x) {
  }
  test(3)
#+end_src

If I use C-c ' to open an R code buffer and C-c C-c, I see the same behavior as in ESS. However, when I do C-c C-c on the code block *in the test.org buffer*, the code is sent to the *R* buffer, but it does not scroll. In the *R* buffer, once I do scroll to the bottom, I see the following:

test <- function(x) {
}
test(3)
'org_babel_R_eoe'

> test <- function(x) {
+   x
+ }
> test(3)
[1] 3
> 'org_babel_R_eoe'
[1] "org_babel_R_eoe"

Can anyone
1) replicate that you don't see the scrolling, even with the comint-scroll-to-bottom-on-output variable set to 't'? 2) suggest a way to get the *R* buffer to scroll to the bottom when I execute a source block from an org-mode file to a running *R* session?

I am surprised by this behavior since I just assumed comint-mode should do the right thing, so I'm not sure where the issue is! Even if this can't be changed, I think org-babel is going to be a great use to me, thank you!

Best Regards,
Erik Iverson