Re: [Orgmode] Which Emacs on Ubuntu

From: Ian Barton
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Which Emacs on Ubuntu
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 08:14:00 +0000

Graham Smith wrote:
Ian,

I use the emacs-snapshot ppa from
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-elisp/+archive/ppa. I had some problems with
the Ubuntu Emacs 23 package (menu drawing, etc). However, these have
probably been fixed by now.

The snapshot is a bleeding edge version of Emacs, so you can expect bug
fixes and new bugs - best of both worlds! Having said that I haven't
encountered any bugs that affected me.

Given my limited experience with Ubuntu I am always a bit nervous with
bleeding edge but equally there is some confusion in Synaptic with
versions. However, this confusion is well and truly a Ubuntu issues
and  well off topic.

As I said the emacs-snapshot package has been entirely stable for me. The nice thing about Debian based systems is that it's easy to uninstall stuff if it doesn't work for you.

The only thin I would caution against is mixing Emacs 22 and 23 on the same system. Usually this is OK. However Emacs 23 has lots of things built in e.g. epa for encryption, which require extra packages in Emacs 22. Installing the Emacs 22 package for something that is built into Emacs 23 can sometimes cause problems with Emacs loading the wrong package.

Ian.