Re: [Orgmode] [babel] unnecessary loading of info files?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [babel] unnecessary loading of info files?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:45:47 +0000

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 12:19:08 -0500, Dan Davison <address@hidden> wrote:

> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > recently (not sure exactly when) I have noticed that, for some reason,
> > the python info files are loaded by Emacs when initialising org-babel
> > specifically (I think) when loading org-babel-python.  I get messages
> > of the form:
> >
> > ,----
> > | uncompressing python2.5-lib.info.gz...done
> > `----
> >
> > On my netbook, this is rather annoying as it slows down the
> > initialisation of Emacs significantly.  I don't understand why the
> > info files are necessary for org-babel?
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> They aren't, but perhaps they are loaded when we (require 'python)?  If
> so then I guess it's out of babel's control; maybe a partial solution
> would be to not activate python as a babel langage until necessary
> (maybe by adding (require 'org-babel-python) to an appropriate hook?).
>
> On my ubuntu 9.10 netbook I don't seem to have any the python info files
> even after installing python2.6-doc. Are you using a debian-based linux
> system and if so could you tell me how to install the python info files
> so that I can investigate?

Hi Dan,

I am using a Debian testing/unstable mix on the netbook and the info
files are from:

,----
| $ dpkg --search python2.5-lib.info.gz
| python2.5-doc: /usr/share/info/python2.5-lib.info.gz
`----

Strange that the info files are not in the 2.6 version.

I may simply remove this package as I don't use python much and, even
when I do, I can wait until I'm at one of my desktop systems to read
the documentation...

Thanks,
eric