[Orgmode] Re: search for DEADLINE in warning period

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: search for DEADLINE in warning period
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 07:28:50 -0500

Łukasz Stelmach <address@hidden> writes:

> Greetings.
>
> Is there a way to search for a timestamp, particularly a DEADLINE, that
> is in its warning period?
>
> Eg.

> * TODO Pay the rent
>   DEADLINE: <2010-03-05 Fri -5d +1m>

> This is a repeatable item so it's always in TODO state and pollutes my
> TODO list for 25 out of 30 days in a month. Doing simple
> `DEADLINE<="<+5d>"' does not satisfy me because there are notes I would
> like to know about much earlier. That's why I'd like to facilitate the
> timestamps' own warning periods.
>
> It seems to be workaroundable by adding a SCHEDULED date

> * TODO Pay the rent
>   SCHEDULED: <2010-03-01 +1m>
>   DEADLINE: <2010-03-05 Fri -5d +1m>

> and searching for `SCHEDULED>="<now>"'. But it builds two logs of

>   - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2010-02-01 Mon 14:23]

> Is there a cleaner way to do it?

I remove entries from the global TODO lists using the variables
org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled, org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines,
org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date

This leaves SCHEDULED and DEADLINE items only on the daily agenda view.

So to see deadlines in the warning period I just go to the agenda for
today (C-c a a) and it shows up.

HTH,
Bernt